April 15, 2011
Arissa Ha

How long has it been since our last DIY? *checks* HOLY S**T.

Guess we haven’t been very productive, I remembered how some people told us they enjoyed reading it. Sorry. (._.)

This time we have a simple DIY to do, it’s a collar with chains that acts as a necklace. I honestly don’t know what else to call it but I guess you get the drift.

We’ve got the collared choker thingama from Miu Miu a few seasons back and that proved to be quite a hit and I guess giving our own twist on this thing might make it a little more interesting to wear.

For this we would need several items:

• Old shirt (or a new one which doesn’t fit your boyfriend’s ugly shirt. We used a cheap shirt we got from Primark London.)
  • Chains
  • Pliers
  • Unpicker
  • Needle and thread

First, use the unpicker to unpick the stitch line which holds the collar stand to the shirt.

Once it is completely detached, re-sew that line to keep the edges tucked in and neat.

Optional: Try it on your cat for size. but srsly no, or it will do this:

See what I mean?

We’ve attached the chains to a separate holder(?) instead of sewing it all directly onto the collar, it makes everything neater. You can make it as understated or as dramatic as you like. We’ve decided to go over the top and added waterfall chains to the collar.

Attach the other side and voila! your very own waterfall chain collar necklace.

It’s certain to jazz up your outfit. It’s something that can definitely be done over the weekend.

Also, let us know if you have any DIY requests! We’re always looking for DIY ideas. :D

Categories:
Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

37 comments

37 Responses to “DIY Post: Collared Chain necklace [DIY Tutorials]”

1. Spade says:

Hi hi~ I have a suggestion to make! For the collar necklace, if you happen to buy a shirt with a detachable collar, and in which you often use it without a collar (like I do – I got mine from G2000, if I am not wrong), you can use that collar immediately, instead of going through the process of picking the threads.

Arissa replied on

Oh wow, I never knew they sold just the collars alone, that makes everything else easier now. Also, there’s less wastage and no trouble deciding which shirt to rip up.

Thanks for the tip!

Spade replied on

Well, it was originally for those ppl who wanted to change the colour/pattern of their collars so that one shirt can have two or three (or more) different looks. But I tot it wud be Great for your collar-necklace!

Arissa replied on

That is an awesome idea really. I should check it out.

2. Tasja says:

Cool! Great idea!
    Unfortunately it doesn’t fit my style or I would make it immediately :D

3. Ava says:

Question – where do you get these holders? I have bought findings in bulk before, but it never comes with that type of holder.

This is amazing, though! Thank you!

Arissa replied on

The holder was recycled from an old necklace. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it in craft stores before.

4. morgan says:

that looks awesome!
    and the unpicker is called a seam ripper, haha

Arissa replied on

I was looking for a proper term for that. Thanks. We just called it an unpicker when I was back in school.

5. Jo says:

I’d like to see it coordinated with an outfit please :)

Arissa replied on

We’ll do that in time, but I don’t think it’s that hard, Just wear it with a top with exposed neckline.

6. oh my god, your kitty is adorable

Arissa replied on

yay, I take it that you’re a cat person too? Unfortunately, Chouchou doesn’t belong to me, but to Dawn.

PS: I checked out your blog and I’m loving it! :D

7. Wida says:

:O!

I’m in love…
    I will definitely suggest more DIY ideas. I have to think of some first! Hehe.

Wida
    Missing Amsie Blog

Thank you. :D

8. amy says:

Hi, This is my first time to your blog and i just wana say how amazing it is!! Also where did you buy the chain you used?

Arissa replied on

Thank you for visiting Amy, the chains are recycled from an old necklace I don’t wear anymore but I believe any craft stores like Spotlight would have them. Hope that helps.

[Reply]

9. This is sooooo fabulous!

biscous, matthew.

xoxo

Thank you!

[Reply]

10. its so nice..amazing..love your talent..keep it up honey..wish you gooooooooooood luckkkkkkkkk

Arissa replied on

Thank you very much! we’ll try and post more DIYs!

11. Melissa says:

Wow, how weird, I JUST drew one of these in my sketchbook. Yours is quite pretty. I’m linking via my Tumblr: http://essentialdiy.tumblr.com/post/5050229045/diy-tutorial-miu-miu-collared-chain-necklace

Arissa replied on

Thank you very much for posting it on your Tumblr and linking it to us. :D bisous!

12. Fydez says:

Wow this is very creative. I would definitely try this and will put this in my to-do list. XX

Thanks! :D

[Reply]

13. [...] wearing the DIY Miu Miu-inspired collared chain necklace as featured in our DIY post. I might try other coordination options, I don’t think this is the best one. I think it might [...]

14. This is my first time to your blog. LOVE this necklace. I would wear it with a nice simple top so it catches all attention it deserves :)

Hugs from the Netherlands

15. Anna says:

Wow. That got me thinking of what outfits to wear with it. Checking out your chain harness tutorial next. :)

16. Colarinho says:

[...] num blog um DIY com uma gola estilizada com correntes, não é a minha preferida mas também é [...]

17. [...] Singapore Fashion Blog: DIY Tutorial Miu miu Collared chain necklace | Monoxious Also, let us know if you have any DIY requests! We’re always looking for DIY ideas. It’s certain to jazz up your outfit. [...]

18. tanya says:

I love this idea, i never would have thought to use a collar.
    Love your blog too. Follongong on blog lovin xx

[Reply]

19. These are lovely. I have a friend who does these types of jewelry and I have long debated about supporting her. Thank you for helping me make up my mind. Keep up the cool site.

[Reply]

20. Well, this is one way of putting old shirts to good and new use. The necklace-collar pair-up looks like it can really spice up a whole getup. Thank you for this great tip.